JOIN OUR TEAM
Estimator – Mechanical & Electrical
The Estimator will play a crucial role in supporting the continuous flow of new business through the Company. Salient carries out a huge variety of energy efficiency upgrades and construction contracts, ranging in value from £5,000 to £2million for an increasingly broad spectrum of Clients and working as part of the Estimating Department provides exposure to all of these. You will be welcomed into a fast-paced environment, where no two jobs are the same.
The ideal candidate must hold a suitable relevant qualification e.g., HND, NVQ3 as well as a current industry competence card, e.g., EUSR or CSCS. You must be able to quickly digest tender information, recognise submission requirements and compile logical sequences of actions. In addition, you will have good commercial judgement, be a strong team player, a great communicator, with sound literacy and numerical skills, as well as being fully conversant on Excel.
In return, we offer an attractive salary and benefits package. To apply, submit your CV with covering letter via our
The successful applicant will be required to:
- Scrutinise incoming enquiries
- Assess all relevant technical issue
- Carry out site visit
- Prepare take-offs and materials schedule
- Prepare subcontract enquiries and evaluate quotation
- Prepare estimates and outline programmes for the costs of the works
- Coordinate tender submissions including health and safety, environmental and quality elements
- Submit proposals to clients
- Negotiate terms and conditions with clients prior to contract award
- Participate in tender handover meetings
- This is a hands-on role with a responsibility for the production of electrical & mechanical tenders for both pre-designed, design & construct projects.
- The role is to breakdown client enquiries, organise or complete the required surveys and prepare detailed Electrical & Mechanical estimates, tenders and quotations to ensure that opportunities are being accurately estimated competitively, successfully and profitably.
- You will support the Business in client meetings and estimation/tender presentations to help secure tendered opportunities.
- Using relevant industry experience, you will be expected to help develop and refine the estimation process to improve efficiency, clarity, and accuracy while reducing overall costs.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- The role requires a solid understanding of Electrical & Mechanical estimating and previous experience in the construction industry, ideally as an estimator in a similar role.
- Established background in Estimating, Quantity Surveying, Project & Bid Management
- Understand and interpret detailed Technical Works Scope documentation Identify, quantify and mitigate areas of commercial risk
- The ability to plan workload for themselves with others to ensure delivery to client deadlines
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the internal and external client.
- Good IT skills, including Microsoft Office suite of software
- Knowledge of Conquest estimating software and Microsoft Project
- Necessary skills to review construction drawings and perform quantity take-offs
- Ability to produce estimates from first principles
- Capability to work on multiple tenders and budgets
- Aptitude to work autonomously
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality at all times
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A professional attitude to representing the Company
- Good time management and organisational skills
- Ability to work under pressure to strict deadlines
- The role includes a competitive salary (dependent upon experience).
- Car or car allowance.
- We’ll provide travel expenses (where appropriate)
- Annual leave
- Pension Scheme
HAVE YOU GOT WHAT IT TAKES?
To apply for your chosen role we will need a few details from you. We will use these details to get in contact with you and arrange a mutually convenient informal phone interview and arrange any necessary subsequent interviews.